Electric Car Fast Charging: A Look at the Pros and Cons
16 Mar 2023 • 4 mins to read
The Basics More and more people are making the switch to electric cars. As the technology continues to advance, charging up your vehicle becomes easier. One of the latest developments is fast charging, which makes it possible to fill up your car in no time.
But what are the pros and cons of electric car fast charging? Let’s take a look.
- Rapid charging- With fast charging, you can get your car’s battery full in under an hour. This beats the standard charging time, which can take several hours.
- More charging stations- Installing fast charging stations is far easier than installing a standard charging station. This means that there will be more fast charging stations than standard ones, making charging your car easier no matter where you are.
- Cheaper- Fast charging is generally a lot cheaper than using a standard charger. This is because fast chargers are designed to be more efficient and use less electricity.
- Convenient- Fast charging makes filling up your car much more convenient. You can zip in for a quick charge and be on your way in no time.
- Higher cost- While the cost of charging is lower, fast chargers are more expensive to install. This means that you may have to pay a premium for the convenience of fast charging.
- Degradation- Fast charging can cause the battery to degrade faster over time. This means you will have to replace your battery more often.
- Heat- Fast charging can cause the battery to heat up quickly. This can be a problem if your car is not equipped to handle it.
- Less efficient- Fast charging is not as efficient as standard charging. This means that you will use more electricity and pay more in the long run.
The Bottom Line
Overall, electric car fast charging is a great way to get your car filled up quickly. But it isn’t without its drawbacks. You should weigh the pros and cons carefully before deciding if fast charging is the right choice for you.
Fast charging is a great convenience, but it does come with a higher cost and some potential drawbacks. Consider all the factors before deciding if fast charging is the right choice for you.
Energy5 provides end-to-end EV charging solutions for businesses
From incentives to funding, permits, installation and software, Energy5 is your trusted EVC partner.Request a callback