Are you planning to purchase an electric car charger? Have you considered importing an electric vehicle charger from China? It is the perfect driver to help you approach the electric vehicle chargers gently and smoothly.
If you have implemented anything in the past, you understand that preparation and planning ahead is vital to the success of your order. The introduction of electric vehicles from China is no exception.
In most cases, the problem for most importers is the lack of information about the import process, from ordering to packaging and shipping.
I. Why buy electric car chargers in China?
It's no secret that the Chinese economy is one of the two largest economies in the world. Government support for policy and funding is fueling this growth. In addition, China is experiencing a huge boom in construction. This is due to the fact that there are people who are willing and able to work, both professional and experienced. All these factors reduce production costs and make Chinese products one of the most affordable in the world. China's electric vehicle chargers offer all these advantages and more, including the ability to create innovative charging solutions for various categories of electric vehicles.In addition, the quality of Chinese electric vehicles is comparable to that of their American and European counterparts, which makes them even more desirable when you consider the competitive prices of these products.
II. Where to buy electric car chargers from China?
There are many opportunities to buy electric vehicle chargers in China, all you have to do is know where to look. Some areas are highlighted below.
Internet Search - Using an online search engine such as Google is often the first part of starting to search for electric vehicles in China. However, a good understanding of typical search operators will make the task easier. Using operators like this helps filter out the millions and sometimes billions of results returned by these search engines, leaving behind the most useful search results.
Trade fairs and exhibitions - China hosts many trade fairs and exhibitions where manufacturers, including electric vehicle charger manufacturers, showcase their products and interact with potential customers. At any of these exhibitions, you can meet with manufacturers and order chargers for electric vehicles.
III. What types of electric vehicle chargers can be bought and imported from China?
Depending on your needs and requirements, you can choose from three options. Let's take a look at three types of electric vehicle chargers:
- Level 1 Charger - This charger is generally designed for low voltage household charging and is suitable for home use. It often uses 120V, which is standard in most homes, especially in North America, and ranges from 1.2kW to 2.4kW, making it the slowest of the three types of chargers. At slower charging rates, it may take 8-10 hours to charge an electric vehicle battery. However, they are mainly used at night when the load on the network is low and the owner of the electric vehicle is not driving. This charger is suitable for electric vehicle owners who travel short distances during the day and charge at night.
- The Level 2 Charging Station is a charger that is faster than the Level 1 Charger, but is not the fastest of the three charging options. Type 2 charger because it uses a 230V power supply and can provide up to 22kW of power. This charger is suitable for people traveling moderate distances during the day, and is often offered in public areas to EV drivers to charge batteries.
- The Level 3 - This charger is the fastest of the three charging options as it provides up to 350kW of power on electric vehicles using 480V continuous voltage. It is suitable for companies that provide fast charging for electric vehicle owners who typically drive large highway distances.
IV. What should I know before importing electric vehicle chargers?
Ordering an electric car is as simple as calling the manufacturer's sales department or filling out a simple order form on the manufacturer's website. However, not taking into account the important criteria necessary for the successful delivery of the charger can lead to regrets and loss of huge amounts of money. Some important thoughts to be clear before completing the order form are as follows:
- Charge level - The charge level and speed of the charger are very important. It indicates how fast the charger will work. Charging requirements, which depend on battery capacity and typical travel times during the day, will help you choose the best EV charger with the best charge level for your requirements. For example, if you travel long distances every day to get to work, you are likely to find an electric vehicle charger that charges faster and can significantly replenish your battery in a few hours. In contrast, if you're looking to take long trips with a Level 1 charger, the results can be disappointing as it won't provide a significant boost to your battery.
- Charging Standards - Charging standards vary from place to place and influence the choice of an electric vehicle charger. For example, charging standards in Asia differ from those in Europe and the United States mainly because some countries use J1772 charging cables and sockets, while others use 2 plugs and charging sockets. Therefore, ordering an electric vehicle charger that is not compatible with local system charging standards can lead to frustration and render the charger useless.
- Charging protocol - The protocol used to communicate between an electric vehicle and charger is another important factor to consider before purchasing a type of electric vehicle charger. For most manufacturers, the standard communication protocol is ISO 15118, which allows connection and charging, but this is not the case for all manufacturers of electric vehicle chargers. Some manufacturers use the Open Charging Point Interface (OCPI) and some use the Open Smart Charging Protocol (OSCP). It is important to consider the manufacturer's charging protocol if compatible with what is available locally.
V. How to import electric vehicle chargers from China?
After properly examining the requirements before importing and critically evaluating all conditions, it is important that the placement of orders for electric vehicle chargers be systematic. Listed below are the steps to successfully import electric vehicle chargers from China:
- Check quantities and offers - the number of electric vehicles that can be ordered may vary by manufacturer. Some manufacturers require a certain quantity as a minimum order, while others may require less. However, to avoid confusion, please check the minimum order requirements when ordering. In addition, it is a good idea to check offers and prices for the number of electric vehicles you are ordering, as offer deviations are common when ordering overseas.
- Production and Payment - Different manufacturers have different payment policies. This is because some of them require 50% payment prior to production. By comparison, some require 100% payment prior to production. However, before ordering a fabrication, it is advisable to understand their payment policy.
VI. 4 Problems You May Face When Importing Electric Vehicle Chargers From China
Most construction and import processes have shortcomings that can arise at some point. And China's electric vehicle tariffs are no exception, but knowing these things ahead of time can save you a lot of headaches. Some of these issues are highlighted below:
- No Violations of Safety Regulations and Certifications - Safety is an important part of a product made in the country and intended for subsequent use. As a result, certificates are often issued to ensure compliance with the necessary safety standards and regulations. Chargers for electric vehicles are no exception. This is due to the fact that they must comply with the established requirements and safety rules so as not to become a source of harm to users. Manufacturers often issue a Product Test Certificate (PTC) certifying that the EV charger has been tested to the destination country's established safety standards. In the US, the PTC often consists of ASTM F963 and CPSIA, while in European countries, EN 7 1-1, 2, 3 and the CE marking may suffice.
- Quality Theme - Just as certifications are essential for safety, quality control is also essential to ensure that EV chargers meet the requirements and quality standards set by the country of intended use. However, the manufacturer must also comply with the quality requirements requested at the time of order. The manufacturer must also comply with the requirements of the international quality management system ISO 9001:2015.
- Inappropriate charging outlets - This problem occurs frequently but can be avoided if it is one of the issues assessed prior to construction and installation. To avoid this problem, it is important to understand local electrical standards, including wall plugs.
- Shipment and delivery delays - checking the history of the manufacturer often helps to avoid this problem. Manufacturers often make promises they can't keep, especially with regard to delivery times and shipping dates. Unforeseen circumstances may cause a delay in delivery, but it is recommended to read customer reviews on the Internet to understand if this is a manufacturer's feature.
Overall, installing an electric vehicle charger from China shouldn't be too difficult if you know where to look and what are the key factors to keep in mind. Ultimately, you need an electric vehicle charger that meets your requirements, including charging speed, power source requirements, and the minimum quantity you can order each time. Also be sure to check the manufacturer information as background information from previous customers may indicate potential issues you may encounter when using this manufacturer to import electric vehicles from China.