Pete Buttigieg Is Positioning South Bend To Be An Electric Vehicle Leader 🔌 🔋
16 Mar 2023 • 9 mins to read
South Bend mayor, Pete Buttigieg, is leading a charge to make his city a leader in electric vehicle adoption. Though the city is small, Mayor Pete is determined to have it serve as a model for cities across the country. He has set ambitious goals to reduce the city's carbon footprint, as well as create more economic opportunities in the city.
Let's take a look at some of the things Mayor Pete Buttigieg has been doing to make South Bend an electric vehicle leader:
South Bend Is Rolling out an Ambitious Electric Vehicle Plan
- Mayor Pete has outlined a comprehensive plan for electric vehicle adoption in the city. This includes a goal to make South Bend the first city in the state to reach 500 electric vehicles (EVs) on its streets.
- The city also has plans to build four electric vehicle charging stations and convert two of its bus routes to electric buses within the next year.
- To help fund these initiatives, the city has secured a four-year grant from the U.S. Department of Energy and partnered with local businesses and nonprofits to create the “Clean and Green” program, which offers incentives to residents who purchase and use EVs.
- The city has also hired a “green team” of local volunteers and city employees to help promote and implement the plan.
South Bend Is Building Partnerships with Local Companies to Advance its EV Goals
- The city has teamed up with local businesses, such as the South Bend-based electric bus manufacturer, Battista Bus Company, to help bring electric vehicles to the city.
- Mayor Pete has also partnered with local organizations, including South Bend Energy Challenge and the South Bend utilities, to provide incentives for residents to switch to electric vehicles.
- The city is also looking to the future and has begun exploring potentials for developing the currently unused South Bend riverfront as a location for electric vehicle charging docks.
South Bend Is Showing the Country What Can Be Achieved with Commitment
By committing to making South Bend an electric vehicle leader, Mayor Pete Buttigieg is sending a powerful message to other cities. South Bend is proving that, even with limited resources, a city can make big strides in becoming greener and more sustainable. Mayor Pete's ambitious plan is setting the bar high and showing other cities what’s possible when they commit to electric vehicle adoption.
Mayor Pete Buttigieg has set a bold vision for South Bend to become an electric vehicle leader. He is already making progress with the city’s ambitious plan and has shown that, even with limited resources, cities can make progress in becoming more sustainable. By partnering with local businesses and organizations, South Bend is setting an example for other cities to follow.
Energy5 provides end-to-end EV charging solutions for businesses
From incentives to funding, permits, installation and software, Energy5 is your trusted EVC partner.Request a callback